Whether you live in Thurston or Ivory, a great way to meet new people is by sharing a new dish. Consider these simple, farm-fresh, dorm-friendly recipes that are sure to impress. Bon appétit!
Corn and Tomato Salad
Cooking time: 25 minutes
4 ears of corn
3 large tomatoes
1 bunch basil
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Special equipment: plastic wrap
1. Individually wrap corn in plastic wrap. Place the corn on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 12 minutes. To make sure your corn is done, stick a fork in a kernel to make sure it bursts. Microwaves vary from room to room and some may require a longer cooking time than others. Let cool.
2. While the corn is being prepped, cut tomatoes into eighths or smaller.
3. Chiffonade basil by stacking the basil leaves, then rolling leaves like a cigarette, and chop.
4. Cut corn off the cob and place in bowl; combine all ingredients together and serve.
Greek Yogurt with Mint and Farm Fresh Fruit
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 large Greek yogurt (such as Fage) or a local dairy yogurt
1 bunch mint
1 cap-full vanilla extract
Seasonal fruit, such as peaches and nectarines
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Cut up fruit and combine with sugar in separate bowl; let stand.
2. Chop mint into very small pieces.
3. Combine mint, vanilla and yogurt. Pour fruit on top of the yogurt and serve.
4. For a cooler option, freeze the yogurt before adding the fruit, creating your own frozen yogurt!