Fall Concert Series

So you’ve finally arrived in the District – but, you still need something to do during that precious free time away from class. Fortunately, D.C. has ample opportunities for you to get your music fix. The list we’ve compiled is just a fraction of the music events happening in and around the nation’s capital over the next few months. Consider it a good starting point.

9:30 Club
815 V St. NW
(800) 955-5566

The Wallflowers w/ Butterfly Boucher – Sept. 3 – Tickets: $25
Although this Grammy-winning rock band has seen several lineup changes, frontman Jakob Dylan has kept the group strong and musically sharp. Expect to hear tracks from his newest album, “Seeing Things.”

Sondre Lerche w/ JBM – Sept. 11 – Tickets: $20
This Norwegian singer-songwriter has a melodic voice and delicate, heartfelt songs. His new album, “Heartbeat Radio,” will be released just before the show, on Sept. 8.

Yo La Tengo w/ Endless Boogie – Sept. 17 – Tickets: $20
New Jersey natives Yo La Tengo have been creating dreamy, harmonic pop since the mid ’80s.

Ingrid Michaelson w/ Greg Holden – Sept. 18 – Tickets: $20
This cheery songstress has worked hard for her fame: she self-produced her debut album, “Boys and Girls,” and performed at several music festivals this summer.

The Black Cat
1811 14th St. NW
(202) 667-4490

Blk Jks w/ Laughing Man – Sept. 29 – Tickets: $10
This South African band has been declared the next big thing by Rolling Stone and Spin magazine. Go listen to their blend of punk, soul and rock and decide for yourself.

Electric Six w/ The Gay Blades and Millions of Brazilians – Oct. 21 – Tickets: $15
These self-proclaimed “Detroit superstars” brought you over-the-top songs like “Danger! High Voltage” and “Gay Bar,” so seeing them in concert should be anything but boring.

Le Loup w/ Nurses and Pree – Nov. 7 – Tickets: $12
This family-style group – there were six members at one point – are well known around D.C. for their lush instrumentation and breathy vocals. Le Loup will appeal to fans of Animal Collective and Sufjan Stevens.

Merriweather Post Pavilion – Columbia, Md. – (410) 715-5550

The Killers w/ Wolfmother – Aug. 31 – Tickets: start at $35
Maybe you’ve lost track of this pop-rock band since the release of “Hot Fuss,” but their latest album, “Day and Age,” has a few quality tunes. Plus, there’s always the chance that singer Brandon Flowers will say something controversial – or at least mildly entertaining – during the show.

The Counting Crows w/ Michael Franti & Spearhead and Augustana – Sept. 5 – Tickets: start at $35
Alt-rock giants The Counting Crows are sure to please – they’ve been around the block a few times since the early ’90s. Fans of the show “Weeds” will also be familiar with Michael Franti & Spearhead’s work. Arrive early to catch their unique brand of hip-hop, reggae and rock.

Kings Of Leon w/ The Features – Sept. 8 – Tickets: start at $36
The pop-rock group’s new single, “Use Somebody,” has gotten a lot of airplay this summer, and now you get a chance to hear a larger portion of their repertoire.