Chief academic officer will retire; administrative shakeup to follow

The University’s top academic administrator will retire from his position at the end of the 2010 calendar year, University President Steven Knapp announced today.

Donald Lehman
Donald Lehman

Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Donald Lehman’s retirement will become effective on December 31, 2010, Knapp announced in an Infomail. Lehman will continue to serve in his current capacity until the end of June of 2010, and after that will act as an adviser to President Knapp on science and engineering until his departure from the University. In that position, he will help guide the University’s planning for the Science and Engineering Complex, a project designed to replace GW’s older engineering facilities. Lehman was not immediately available for comment.

A national search for Lehman’s replacement will begin in September, Knapp said. When Lehman’s replacement is selected, that person will have the title of provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. Current Senior Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services Robert Chernak will then become the senior vice provost for student affairs, enrollment management, and athletics, while current Provost and Vice President for Health Affairs John Williams will assume the title of senior vice provost and vice president for health affairs.

Chernak and Williams will both report to Lehman’s replacement, and the adjustment will “establish a single point of accountability, immediately below the president, for all academic and student-related programs of the University,” Knapp said.

Update, 5:39 p.m.

Though the reference to Student and Academic Support Services will be removed from Chernak’s title, University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said “additional changes to SASS” are not expected.