Students attend poetry event at White House

Web Extra

After many students had finished finals and were already home enjoying their summer vacations, five students experienced what may very likely be the most memorable event of their summers.

These five students were chosen by University President Steven Knapp to attend “An Evening of Poetry, Music, and the Spoken Word” at the White House, hosted by President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama.

“This visit to the White House really captures how unique GW is and the great opportunities students have by living in the heart of the nation’s capital,” GW graduate student Maura Clark said about attending the event, held in May.

Since the University was notified of the opportunity just one day before the event, the University decided to choose student staff members from GW Housing Programs.

“These students were selected because of the contributions they have made to GW and their personal interest in the arts,” said Andrew Goretsky, director of house life at GW Housing Programs. “This was a last minute opportunity that came to the University after many students had left for the semester.”

In addition to greeting the President and first lady, the GW students were able to meet other famous figures, including actor Zach Braff, journalist George Stephanopoulos, and actor James Earl Hones.

Cory Struble, former president of GW College Democrats, was chosen to attend the event because of his work with the CDs and the D.C. Federation of College Democrats.

“James Earl Jones shook my soul with his performance of Othello,” Struble said.