Staff Editorial: Welcome to GW

Welcome to GW, and to the first of hopefully many Hatchet staff editorials that provide some criticism, insight and guidance.

First, an introduction. Our editorial board represents a group of editors and managers from The Hatchet. Although differing in our personalities and interests, we find common ground and strive to be the most informed, thoughtful and analytical group on campus. Every issue, the board meets and develops the (hopefully) conscientious voice of our publication. We hope to call attention to both the biggest problems, and their most appropriate solutions. In the past, we’ve often aimed for transparency, accountability and intelligent action from our University, community and student body.

Along with providing effective staff editorials, we endeavor to hold ourselves to the high standards we set for the rest of the school. You will see in our editorials clear thought processes, sound logic and practical resolutions. We tend to be cynical, but this is because results often speak louder than words, and a news story on a successful program or positive trend usually needs no reiteration.

Despite our aims, there are times when our editorials may not meet the principles we work for. No one is perfect, and we cannot promise to be without error in our analysis and suggestions. When we do not reach our own expectations, however, we promise to be clear about our mistakes and forthcoming with a more rigorous commentary. We will always be open to criticism.

Now that we have laid out a purpose, let’s get to it. Here is some advice for maximizing your experience at GW:

When you start school, there will be a plethora of organizations vying to be the one that you invest yourself into. Get involved with one as soon as you can. Being an urban campus, GW is often criticized for its lack of community. Many students come to GW and, lacking a sense of community, never feel the full embrace that many other college students do. With GW, this is a tradeoff – joining an organization in the heart of our nation’s capital often means being more involved than students at other universities. These orgs quickly provide a sense of community, and getting started soon will be a good way to meet like-minded individuals (read: friends).

While looking at these groups, it is important to keep an open mind. Do everything, but in moderation. That is to say, try everything that even slightly interests you. However, after giving something a shot, be ready to say “no.” If you have gone to a couple meetings for a group and simply are not finding it to be worth your time, don’t try and force it to fit. There are hundreds of groups and interests represented on campus, but there is not a single reason you won’t be able to find a group that is working for or representing something you believe in, even if you have to start the group yourself. It’s college, and the opportunities are pretty much endless; ballroom dancing, anyone?

Over the next few months, there will be plenty more advice. Some will tell you to buy a PC, and others will be insistent that you get the Mac. It’s been said that because college students can’t afford solid food, it’s important to have more spoons than any other piece of silverware. The fact that all these epithets come from different places demonstrates just how unique each person’s experience will be. But if there is a single piece of advice we wish to impart, it is simply: you have a great opportunity for a fresh start. Take advantage of it.