Professor to chair National Intelligence Council

A prominent Elliott School professor has been selected to be the next Chairman of the National Intelligence Council, Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair announced in May.

Christopher Kojm, a professor who teaches courses on U.S. foreign policy, will leave GW to accept the job as chairman of the NIC – a position designed to help advise government officials on how to tackle issues facing the intelligence community.

As chairman of the NIC, Kojm will contribute to national intelligence estimates – government documents that help the intelligence community make critical decisions such as whether or not to invade countries, or how to address national security problems facing the U.S.

Kojm said he’s excited to fulfill his new responsibilities as chairman.

“I look forward to the challenge of producing and providing timely, accurate and relevant analysis to the policymaker,” Kojm said.

Aside from his experience as a professor, Kojm has held a wide array of government positions, all of which he said will help him in his new post.

Prior to joining the Elliott School faculty in 2007, Kojm served as the deputy director of the 9/11 Commission and a senior adviser to the Iraq Study Group. He also worked for the Bureau of Intelligence and Research at the State Department.

Blair, who selected Kojm to fill the position on May 20, said Kojm’s wealth of experience will be the key to his success in his new position.

“Chris is a highly respected national security expert with a deep background in intelligence and foreign policy,” Blair said in a news release. “He understands how important quality intelligence is to the policy making process, and he understands the critical need for intelligence to be timely, relevant and objective. He will be an outstanding NIC Chairman.”

At GW, Kojm served as director of the U.S. Foreign Policy Summer Program at the Elliott School of International Affairs, as well as the Director of the Elliott School’s Master of International Policy and Practice program.

Michael Brown, dean of the Elliott School of International Affairs, said Kojm was a good choice for the position.

“Chris Kojm will bring tremendous expertise across a wide range of national security issues to his new position,” Brown said in a news release. “Even more importantly, he will bring exceptional judgment to the assessment of current and emerging policy challenges.”

Though Brown is happy Kojm was selected as chairman of the NIC, he said he is disappointed to see him leave the Elliott School faculty.

“Although we will be very sorry to see Chris leave, it is reassuring to know that the National Intelligence Council’s very important responsibilities will be in his exceedingly capable hands,” Brown said.

Though he will no longer be in the classroom, Kojm said teaching will continue to be a part of his life and new role as at the NIC.

“I will always be an educator, and those skills are essential for success in this position,” Kojm said.