GW sports: A brief guide

Greetings, freshmen, and welcome to Foggy Bottom. You are likely drowning in a barrage of new information (GWorld! The fight song! Which liquor stores don’t card!) so allow us to take the time to contribute to the deluge with a brief guide to GW athletics.

If you have any interest in sports, there is a distinct possibility that at some point, the topic of GW football will come up in conversation. For those of you who are unaware: no such team exists. The program was disbanded more than four decades ago and no, it is not coming back, at least not any time soon.

So now that we have settled what you can’t watch at GW, let’s take a look at the sports you will be able to see. Basketball tends to rule the Colonials sports scene, but there is a whole slew of other teams for you to cheer on as well. Here is a quick glimpse at every Division I program GW has to offer (most play in the Atlantic 10) with a few key points of interest for your edification.

Locations
Charles E. Smith Center: 22nd and G Streets

MVAC: Mount Vernon Athletic Complex

Barcroft Park: Arlington, Va.

Various: Sites vary based on event

Fall Sports

Men’s soccer

Last season: 8-6-3 overall, seventh in A-10

Where to watch: MVAC

Name to know: Senior forward Andy Stadler, who scored 14 goals in 16 games.

Fun Fact: The Colonials’ top five points-leaders return from last year, including Stadler, an NSCAA all-region selection last year.

Women’s soccer

Last season: 8-11 overall, ninth in A-10

Where to watch: MVAC

Name to know: Sophomore goalie Lindsay Rowe, second in the A-10 in saves last year.

Fun Fact: Despite taking just eight shots last year, senior Misa Eiritz is GW’s top returning goal-scorer, having scored on four of her eight attempts.

Volleyball

Last season: 19-11 overall, lost in A-10 semifinals

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Junior Leah Hill, a second-team all-conference selection last year.

Fun Fact: Sophomore Alyssa Valentine was named the A-10’s Rookie of the Week six times last season en route to being named the conference’s top newcomer.

Men’s water polo

Last season: 11-20 overall, fifth in CWPA Southern Division

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Senior John-Claude Wright, currently fourth all-time at GW in goals and steals.

Fun Fact: Wright scored three goals three times in five games at last season’s CWPA Southern Division Championships.

Men’s cross country

Last season: 11th at the A-10 Championships

Where to watch: Various

Name to know: Senior Robbie Lockhart, one of the team’s top finishers in 2008.

Fun Fact: At last year’s conference championships, Lockhart finished one second ahead of junior teammate Dan Cartica.

Women’s cross country

Last season: Ninth at the A-10 Championships, 20th in Mid-Atlantic Regionals

Where to watch: Various

Name to know: Redshirt sophomore Megan Hogan, who set a GW record in a 10,000-meter win at this spring’s Penn Relays.

Fun Fact: Hogan only began running competitively after she transferred to GW.

Winter Sports

Men’s basketball

Last season: 10-18 overall, 13th in A-10

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Senior forward Damian Hollis, the team’s returning leader in points and rebounds.

Fun Fact: There will be a lot of new faces among this year’s Colonials: six of the team’s players will be freshmen.

Women’s basketball

Last season: 17-14 overall, lost in WNIT first round

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Sophomore Tara Booker, who shot more than 37 percent on three-pointers last year.

Fun Fact: This season’s roster is one of GW’s youngest ever, with no seniors and just two juniors on the team.

Gymnastics

Last season: 11-9, sixth in EAGL

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Junior Leslie Delima, the team’s top all-around performer last year.

Fun Fact: Delima finished 14th in the floor exercise competition at April’s Southeast Regional Championship and edged sophomore teammate Amanda Murphy for 35th overall.

Men’s squash

Last season: 17-10, ranked 23rd in nation

Where to watch: HelWell

Name to know: Sophomore Jose Calderon, who plays in the team’s No. 1 slot.

Fun Fact: Head coach Wendy Lawrence helped GW secure the first and only squash-exclusive scholarship in the country.

Women’s squash

Last season: 14-6, ranked 15th in nation

Where to watch: HelWell

Name to know: Senior Kate Bullard, ranked just outside the top-100 nationally.

Fun Fact: Bullard finished this past season in the 100-117 tier in the CSA national rankings, where she was joined by sophomore Lauren Mathieu.

Men’s swimming

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Junior Andrew Maguire, who finished fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke at the A-10 Championships.

Fun Fact: Three-fourths of the 800-yard relay team that set a GW record at the 2009 A-10 Championships are returning this season.

Women’s swimming

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Junior Paola Leor, the team’s MVP the past two seasons.

Fun Fact: At this year’s A-10 Championships, Leor set school records in three individual events and was part of GW’s record-setting 200-yard medley relay team as well.

Spring Sports

Baseball

Last season: 22-33 overall, seventh in A-10

Where to watch: Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.

Name to know: Redshirt senior Sean Rockey, a second baseman named third-team All-America this past spring.

Fun Fact: Rockey’s .420 batting average was best in the A-10, and he also led GW in doubles, homeruns, RBI, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage.

Softball

Last season: 16-33 overall, 11th in A-10

Where to watch: MVAC

Name to know: Senior pitcher Amanda Gabriel, who started 24 games as a junior and completed 21 of them.

Fun Fact: Gabriel’s 88 strikeouts in A-10 play were third-best in the league while sophomore teammate Krissy Mackiewicz was tied for fourth in hits.

Lacrosse

Last season: 5-12 overall, lost in A-10 semifinals

Where to watch: MVAC

Name to know: Senior Taylor Donohue, who scored 30 goals and recorded a GW-record 27 assists this spring

Fun Fact: Though the Colonials lost their first six games last season, they rallied during conference play to earn the fourth seed in the A-10 Tournament.

Golf

Last season: Eighth in the A-10

Where to watch: Various

Name to know: Junior Brendan Barrack, the team’s low-scorer this spring.

Fun Fact: Sophomore Javier Ballesteros is the son of Spanish golf great Seve Ballesteros, who won The Masters twice and British Open three times.

Men’s tennis

Last season: 13-8, first in A-10

Where to watch: MVAC

Name to know: Sophomore Ugur Atalay, who won all three of his singles matches at this spring’s conference championships.

Fun Fact: Last season, the Colonials had their second consecutive undefeated A-10 season, doing so without a single upperclassman on the team.

Women’s tennis

Last season: 7-10, ninth in A-10

Where to watch: MVAC

Name to know: Sophomore Jacqueline Corba, the team’s MVP as a freshman.

Fun Fact: Corba, who was second-team all-conference, was one of two Colonials to receive A-10 honors, as senior Nadia Demidenko was named to the conference’s first team.

Men’s rowing

Last season: 15th in nation at IRA Championships

Where to watch: Various

Fun Fact: The Colonials defeated Georgetown and Rutgers on the Potomac River this April to win the George Cup for the first time since 2005.

Women’s rowing

Last season: Seventh in A-10, 18th at the Eastern Sprints

Where to watch: Various

Fun Fact: The women’s rowing team finished last fall on a high note after defeating George Mason at the Head of the Occoquan, but didn’t win any meets in the Spring.

Women’s water polo

Last season: 6-21 overall, third in CWPA South

Where to watch: Smith Center

Name to know: Sophomore Allison Peotter, who had a GW-record 35 assists as a freshman.

Fun Fact: Peotter was the first freshman Colonial to ever be named first team all-south and also led the team in goals and steals.