Green space planned for Square 80

GW plans to put a little more green on campus by transforming a parking lot into a small park near the new F Street residence hall, University officials have announced.

The project will remake the lot, which is big enough to hold 30 cars, into a park that will be available to students and community members, said University spokeswoman Tracy Schario.

“The project will green the area – both by providing open green space and sustainable features. The new space will also enhance the pedestrian pathway between F & G Streets and the northern courtyard entrance to the new residence hall,” Schario said in an e-mail.

Schario said the total site area is approximately three-quarters of an acre, and the cost of the project is included in the residence hall construction, which has a total budget of about $70 million.

“Adding green space to this area was contemplated as part of the open space plan included in the 2007 Foggy Bottom Campus Plan,” she said.

More than 20 trees, an activity lawn, a trellised seating area for 15 to 20 people, and several small landscaped areas are planned for the space. Sustainable features include native plants and those that are adapted to the climate, so they require little watering.

Schario said the space has been designed to contain and reuse storm water within the site. There will be three cisterns for water collection and a system to direct the water into tree boxes. The project will “further GW’s goals toward a sustainable campus environment,” Schario said.

Pervious paving used at the site will prevent water from flowing into the street, Adam Aaronson, the manager and assistant director of Real Estate Project and Planning Management, said at an Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2A meeting in May.

Michael Akin, GW’s executive director of Government, International, and Community Relations told Foggy Bottom residents at the meeting that the project will require some public space permits, but he said no street parking would be lost because of the project.

Anyone who was using the parking lot at the site has already been relocated to other GW parking areas, Schario said.