Two victims from Holocaust Museum shooting rushed to GW Hospital

Media organizations at GW Hospital are reporting from Washington Circle.

Update 5:47 p.m. 39-year-old Special Police Officer Stephen Tyrone Johns, a Temple Hills, MD resident, was pronounced dead after being transported to GW Hospital after the shooting, according to a Metropolitan Police Department statement. The statement also said that the gunman suffered injuries after two Special Police Officers guarding the front entrance of the museum returned fire on him.

Update 4:59 p.m. The Holocaust Memorial Museum will be closed on Thursday and flags flown at half mast in honor of Stephen Tyrone Johns, the security guard shot to death by 88-year old white supremacist James Von Brunn, according to a statement released by the museum.

“Officer Stephen Tyrone Johns died heroically in the line of duty today. There are no words to express our grief and shock over these events. He served on the Museum’s security staff for six years.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to Officer Johns’ family,” the statement says.

Update 4:20 p.m. The security guard injured in the shooting has died at the GW Hospital, CNN is reporting.

Update 3:20 p.m. Two shooting victims–the gunman and the security guard he shot–were rushed to the GW Hospital for treatment just before 1 p.m. today, police and GW Hospital officials said.

Traci Hughes, a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police Department, said a man walked into the Holocaust Memorial Museum in downtown D.C. with a gun and immediately shot a security guard. The other security guards in the lobby returned fire, injuring the suspect. Both parties were then rushed to GW Hospital for treatment.

Nicole Pokryfka, a spokeswoman for the hospital, confirmed that two gunshot victims from the Holocaust Museum were being treated. D.C Mayor Adrian Fenty said the security guard shot by the gunman is in “grave condition.” Fenty described the gunman as in “critical condition.”

“A lone gunman came into the entrance and immediately opened fire, striking one security guard,” Fenty said at a press conference near the museum. “Our hearts go out to the security guard’s family.”

Police have confirmed that the gunman is James Von Brunn, an 88-year-old white supremacist who lives in Maryland.

Sarah Scire contributed to this report.