Law School professors sound off on Sotomayor

At least two GW Law School professors have voiced their concerns over President Barack Obama’s nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court, Sonia Sotomayor, claiming her opinions have shown a “lack of depth.”

GW Law professors Jeffrey Rosen and Jonathan Turley have both been vocal about their issues with Sotomayor’s behavior on the bench, claiming she does not have the temperament or intellect to warrant a nomination.

Jeffrey Rosen
Jeffrey Rosen

Rosen was candid about his issues with Sotomayor in a May 4 article in the New Republic. In the article, Rosen said Sotomayor was a good judge, however he said she is not the “judicial star” many Democrats were hoping for.

Rosen, the legal affairs editor of the liberal magazine, said he spoke with many judges who have worked with Sotomayor in the past and said the resounding opinion of the nominee was that she is “not that smart and kind of a bully on the bench.”

He added, “They expressed questions about her temperament, her judicial craftsmanship, and most of all, her ability to provide an intellectual counterweight to the conservative justices, as well as a clear liberal alternative.”

After Republicans came out against Sotomayor, however, Rosen said he regretted the headline of the article, “The Case Against Sotomayor.”

“It didn’t represent the intent of the piece,” Rosen said in the Washington Post.

Jonathan Turley, a prominent GW Law professor, said that Sotomayor’s opinions showed “a lack of depth,” in an interview with Chris Matthews, an MSNBC correspondent..

“I don’t believe the body of her work justifies this nomination,” Turley said in the interview. “I’ve read about 30 of her most important decisions and they do not suggest someone with a profound understanding of the law. But that does not mean that she will not surprise us.”

In the interview, Turley denounced Sotomayor’s previous court opinions and said she was only nominated because of her personal background – a Hispanic woman from the Bronx, N.Y.

Jonathan Turley
Jonathan Turley

“I’ve read a couple of dozen of her opinions. They don’t speak well to her being a nominee on the Supreme Court,” Turley said in the interview. “She will be historic in many ways like Thurgood Marshall but I ‘ll remind you Thurgood Marshall was not a lasting intellectual force on the court. He was historic because he was first. And I think that a lot of academics are a little bit disappointed.”

Turley has appeared on camera a few times to express his opposition to Obama’s nominee, and has received criticism from liberal bloggers on Web sites like the Daily Kos.

If Sotomayor were to be confirmed by the Senate, she would be the first Hispanic member of the U.S. Supreme Court and the third woman to serve.