Obama aide tapes NPR show in Lisner

A close advisor to President Barack Obama joked along with hosts of the popular radio show “Wait Wait . Don’t Tell Me!” at the show’s taping Thursday evening in Lisner Auditorium.

The show, which is produced by National Public Radio and distributed to stations across the country, hosted campaign strategist David Axelrod and raised money for WAMU, American University’s radio station and NPR’s D.C. affiliate. Hosted by Peter Sagal, the game show-style production also featured a panel of comedians including Mo Rocca, a former correspondent for The Daily Show, and Paula Poundstone, an Emmy Award-winning comedian known for her offbeat humor and wardrobe.

During his half-hour appearance on the show, Axelrod played a trivia game called, “No We Can’t” – a play on the Obama campaign slogan, “Yes We Can.” He was asked three questions about leaders of utopian societies but answered only one correctly.

Between questions, Axelrod joked about the first family’s new dog, Bo, saying he now has to get to work early to give it a walk.

Though Axelrod said his days often feel like the television show “The West Wing” – with multiple problems to face simultaneously – he said Obama “usually makes good decisions” and that he doesn’t have many mistakes to correct.

Sagal prodded Axelrod to tell the audience what ringtones he uses for important members of the Obama Administration. Sagal was particularly interested in which ringtone Axelrod used for GW Commencement speaker and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who is known for his temper.

“When Rahm Emanuel calls, does it play something by N.W.A.?” Sagal asked jokingly, referring to the rap group from Compton, Calif.

The show aired on WAMU on Saturday morning.