Elliott School: NATO ambassador headlines ceremony

The U.S. Ambassador to NATO advised graduating students in the Elliott School of International Affairs to treat others well, examine the political process, and exercise regularly in a wide-ranging keynote address at the school’s graduation ceremony in the Smith Center on Friday.

Ambassador Kurt Volker, a career member of the U.S. Foreign Service and a GW alumnus, told the graduating class of more than 900 students that he hoped to impart advice based on what he wished he knew when he graduated from GW 22 years ago.

“This is the part where speakers say what they would like to say to their own kids if they could only get them to listen. Leaving aside mass murderers and pirates, always treat other people well,” Volker said. “Second, don’t get confused by our political process . the people who see through the political competition and grasp the underlying truth are the most successful people overall.”

Volker also told students that the most successful people he knows exercise regularly, eat healthy and nurture relationships with friends and family.

Volker was one of three people who spoke at length during the ceremony.

Student speaker Kaitlin Diane Muench outlined lessons she learned sifting through trash in Thailand, and Elliott School Dean Michael Brown recalled momentous occasions that occurred this year, including the economic crisis and the inauguration of President Barack Obama.