University will review Treanor death

The University will conduct an additional review of sophomore Laura Treanor’s death after learning she died of alcohol poisoning, University President Steven Knapp said in a statement May 1.

The announcement came just days after the D.C. Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed that Treanor, who passed away Jan. 23, died of acute alcohol intoxication. The death was determined to be an accident, said Beverly Fields, spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office.

GW will consider the new information regarding Treanor’s death and determine if any additional action must be taken, Knapp said in the statement.

“Today we have obtained confirmation from the DC Medical Examiner office that the cause of Laura’s death was acute alcohol intoxication and that the death was accidental,” Knapp said in the statement. “Now that we have that determination, I have asked Dean of Students and Associate Vice President Linda Donnels and Chief of University Police Dolores Stafford to review the new information and determine what further steps, if any, should be taken.”

Vice President for External Relations Lorraine Voles declined to comment last week on what specifically the review would entail or what steps could potentially be taken.

Voles said the University will “notify the community when the review is complete.”