University to renovate residence halls over the summer

The University plans to use about $1.5 million to upgrade or renovate several University buildings and residence halls over the summer, Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz said last week.

The most extensive renovations will occur in Francis Scott Key Hall, a sophomore dorm on 20th Street, and will include updating the building with water and energy-saving modifications to the heating system and bathrooms, improving the fire-safety sprinkler system and installing new elevator doors, Katz said.

In addition, residence halls like 1959 E Street, Fulbright Hall, New Hall and Building JJ will be repainted and the common area basement lounges in Building JJ, Strong Hall and The West End will be upgraded.

Carpet will be replaced as needed in all residence halls and mechanical repairs to heating, air conditioning and water systems that could not be made while students were in residence will be completed too, Katz said.

Renovations will also take place on the first and second floor classrooms in Funger Hall and a new sprinkler system will be installed, according to a building permit filed in April.

The University has paid $14,314 for the Funger renovations so far, according to the permit.