Senior Stories: Molly Wade: Aiming for the broadcast booth

In front of the camera is where Molly Wade is in her element. Calling the last shots of a heated game or reporting on a team’s prospects for the season ahead spells happiness for this senior, who hopes to become a sports reporter.

She came to GW with the hope of going into musical theater, but then realized that she could combine her desire to act with her wish to do something more down-to-earth.

Broadcast journalism was the perfect fit, she says.

“It’s an interesting combination of performance – you do have to perform – and something more intellectual,” she said.

As time went on, she became drawn to the idea of being a sports reporter. A big influence, she says, was her internship with the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

“Working [my] first live broadcast game with MASN was really thrilling,” said Wade.

What also played a large part was her involvement with sports at GW. In between taking classes she found time to manage the women’s basketball team, attending games, practices, and traveling with the team.

Another thing that stimulated her interest in writing, she said, was her work with Prime Movers, which is a partnership between GW, local media companies, and D.C. public schools. The organization gave her the opportunity to visit a local high school and act as a mentor to aspiring journalism students.

She has given back to the community in other ways too, having also done an internship with the Trust for the National Mall. Trust is a nonprofit partnership operated by the U.S. National Park Service.

Wade, who is also a psychology minor, says after graduation she plans to juggle working both for the park service as well as the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

She said, “I’m really excited and a little nervous just because I don’t really have anything set in stone but I’m excited to be done with school and to be moving on and I’m hopeful that everything will work out.”