University prepares for swine flu

Administrators are taking precautions to prevent an outbreak of the swine flu, a new strain of the influenza virus that has infected nearly 100 people in the United States.

There have been no confirmed cases of the swine flu at GW, but two female students who tested positive for the “A” strain of the influenza virus were moved from their room in Thurston Hall to a room in City Hall to prevent their illness from spreading to roommates, said University spokeswoman Tracy Schario.

The A strain of the influenza virus is the same strain present in the swine flu mutation of the disease, said Dr. Robert Shesser, chair of the GW Hospital Emergency Department. The A strain can also be indicative of other mutations of influenza.

(Learn more about swine flu – read the full Q. & A. interview with Shesser.)

More than 91 cases of the swine flu have been reported so far in the United States and at least one person infected has died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Schario said swabs of the two female students’ flu virus have been sent to the D.C. Department of Health for testing to make sure they are not carrying the swine flu.

Dena Iverson, spokeswoman for the D.C. DOH, said she cannot comment on whether or not the swabs of the two students had tested positive for the swine flu, but she added that if there were cases in the District, the CDC would be required to report them.

“It’s a precaution, in these two cases, to move the two students to a private room so that they’re in a position where they can limit their interaction with students,” Schario said. “They are not being quarantined, they are not being told that they have to stay in their room. It’s really to protect them and protect others as a precaution.”

Schario said when students contract contagious illnesses, they are often offered the opportunity to switch rooms to prevent roommates from becoming ill.

“There have been instances where Student Health Services will work to get them other accommodations during their illness,” Schario said. “It’s for precaution, it’s to prevent the spread of contagious diseases.”

Shesser said the swine flu is a new and mysterious disease that is difficult to detect.

“We have no way of knowing if you have the swine flu for sure when we see you, so all we know is we can test for whether or not you have influenza,” Shesser said. “Our tests will tell you whether you have influenza A or influenza B. The swine flu shares antigens with influenza A. To determine whether or not you have the swine flu, we have to send it to the D.C. Department of Health.”

Shesser said the swine flu strand circulating around the country is not as deadly as the strain in Mexico, which has killed more than 100 people, including many otherwise-healthy individuals. But, he added, extra precautions should be taken to be safe.

“Concern is appropriate but nobody really knows if it’s going to be anything more than regular old flu, which does kill the old, poor, and the sick, but isn’t a life threatening disease for the vast, vast, vast majority of people,” Shesser said.

On the GW Campus Advisories Web site, students are advised to wash their hands regularly, get sleep, eat well and manage stress to help prevent illness.

“If you notice symptoms, stay home from work or school, avoid contact with people as much as possible and call the Student Health Service or your medical provider for advice,” the Web site reads. “Your health provider will determine if influenza testing or treatment is needed. Once confirmed, the Centers for Disease Control report that the swine flu virus is treatable with prescription antiviral drugs.”