Two assaults occur near campus

Sunday, May 3

Two violent crimes occurred near campus last week, including an assault with a padlock near the Lerner Health and Wellness Center, according to Metropolitan Police Department reports.

The first alleged attack occurred last Tuesday at about 9:30 p.m. on the 2300 block of G Street N.W. The alleged victim reported that a man exited a beige car and swung at him at least twice with a padlock concealed in a sock. He fought back against his attacker, punching, kicking and striking him with a bag, according to the police report.

Both men were transported to the GW Hospital for treatment, and the attacker was placed under arrest.

The second reported attack took place Thursday later around 7 p.m. The alleged victim, who is not affiliated with the University, told Metropolitan Police Department officers that three men in black masks and gloves forced him into the west alleyway behind the 500 block of 20th Street, N.W. They took three dollars from the victim’s wallet and bound him to a railing using computer cords removed from a nearby dumpster, according to the report.

A University Police Department infomail sent out on Friday said that the victim could not provide any information about the three suspects and was uncooperative with the police who responded to the scene.

In addition to the assaults, another robbery occurred April 30 in the Uptowner Café in the Law School, according to an MPD report. The alleged victim reported that a man, aided by two accomplices who held the rear door open, stole her iPhone from the table beside her. The man who snatched the phone was around 20 years old and the other two appeared to be about 18, according to the report.