BBQ celebrates F Street mural

Members of the GW and Foggy Bottom communities gathered Tuesday evening to celebrate a new mural painting on the side of the Foggy Bottom Grocery store on F Street.

The ceremonial unveiling occurred at the 7th annual FRIENDS barbecue, which is hosted by the community group to promote a positive dialogue between GW and the surrounding community, said Britany Waddell, assistant director of community relations.

Calder Brannock, who graduated from GW in 2007, painted the mural, but he said the original idea came from senior Jeremy Sapriel.

“When I was a sophomore, I walked down F Street and saw this wall that was filled with cracks and was molding,” Sapriel said. “I said, ‘If there is one thing I do before I graduate it will be to make sure there is a mural on this wall.’ “

Sapriel worked with GW’s Senior Associate Vice President for Operations Alicia O’Neil to find the artist and create the mural.

“Calder was recommended to us by various sources,” Sapriel said. “I had some ideas for the mural and he had lots of ideas as well.”

While enrolled at GW, Brannock painted the mural in Columbian Square in the Marvin Center.

“It is wonderful to give back to the school, but also it’s great for the school to give back to alumni,” Brannock said.

The new mural is divided into five different sections, each is designed to reflect the themes of progress and community.

The panels depict the signing of the charter creating GW, Foggy Bottom’s contributions to science and medicine, the Heurich Brewery, the first African-American church in the District and the ongoing construction and progression in Foggy Bottom. According to a University news release, the Heurich Brewery was located in Foggy Bottom until 1954 and was responsible for innovative ideas like malt liquor and beer pasteurization.

Brannock said during the unveiling, “It is great to do a mural about progress and community.”