Event honors top organizations, students

The College Democrats, CADE Peer Educators and GW Students for Fair Trade were honored with the Pyramid Award for Student Organization of the Year at GW’s 24th Annual Excellence in Student Life Awards Wednesday night in Lisner Auditorium.

More than 250 nominees were up for awards in 26 different categories, which recognized the extracurricular achievements of dedicated students, faculty and staff at the University.

Cory Struble, president of the CDs, said he was speechless when they announced his student organization received the Pyramid Award.

“We couldn’t have accomplished our goals this year without the members – hundreds of students sacrificing weekends to knock on the doors of strangers for Barack Obama. And 60,000 voter contacts later, they have proven to be the heart and soul of our organization,” said Struble, who is a senior.

This is the first time the CDs have won the Pyramid Award.

“Students, organizations, faculty and staff do so much here outside the classroom and outside the 9 to 5 that it is so important to highlight accomplishments and spotlight those individuals and groups that contribute to making GW a great community,” said Molly Kastendieck, a graduate student who helped run this year’s awards.

This year’s event was environmentally themed, with students performing skits about increasing environmental awareness between award presentations.

Award winners were selected by a committee – which was comprised of faculty and staff members.

Performances by Capital Funk, GW Pitches and Forbidden Planet Productions were interspersed throughout the awards ceremony.

Sarah Sutton and Joseph Buono won the award for Greek Woman and Man of the Year respectively.

The Greek Chapters of the Year were Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Sigma Psi Zeta Sorority, Inc.

The Black Student Union and the Racially and Ethnically Mixed Student Association each won the Multicultural Student Services Center Excellence in Diversity Award.

The Baer Award for Individul Excellence was awarded to Natalie Kaplan, Mamiko Saikawa, Andrea Criollo, Corey Barenbrugge and Daniel Bernstein. Christine French was presented with GW’s first Mount Vernon award.

Program Board Chair Tiffany Meehan presented Battle of the A Cappella Groups with the Program Board Event of the Year Award.

“Molly Kastendieck, Rob Shorette and the rest of the Excellence Awards team did a great job promoting and advertising the event,” said Student Association President Vishal Aswani. “The buzz surrounding the awards this year shows exactly how involved GW students are and how supportive people like Molly, Rob and the rest of GW can be.”

-Emily Cahn contributed to this report.