Greek-letter organizations honored

Correction appended

Members of the Greek-letter community packed the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom Sunday night for the 5th annual Greek Night of Achievement.

The event honored fraternities, sororities and individual members of Greek-letter organizations for achievement their achievements on campus.

The Order of Omega, a selective honorary society for fraternity and sorority students, sponsored the event in conjunction with the Office of Greek Life.

Chas Pressner, president of the Interfraternity Council, said he felt the ceremony reflected the positive impact Greek-letter life has on the GW community.

“Tonight’s events really showcased all the really great work Greek organizations do here on campus and really shows that we’re very proud of all the work we do,” he said. “I couldn’t be more proud of our Greek organizations.”

Dean Harwood, director of Greek Life, reflected on the major events of the community over the past year.

Harwood recognized the five new Greek chapters – Chi Omega, Delta Tau Delta, Sigma Lambda Upsilon Inc. and Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc.

He also spoke about the death of Laura Treanor, a member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. Harwood said Treanor’s death demonstrated the uplifting spirit of the Greek-letter community.

Tim Miller, director of the Student Activities Center, presented the awards for Advisors of the Year to Melissa Sully of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Gaurav Parikh of Sigma Chi for excellence in their jobs as liaisons between their Greek organizations and the University administration.

The ceremony concluded with the announcement winners of the Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards, which honor fraternities and sororities for their overall excellence. To be considered, each fraternity and sorority must submit an extensive application covering 20 categories of criteria reflecting their accomplishments over the course of the year.

Harwood said the groups considered for the highest honor, the Gold Award, have demonstrated excellence in each of these categories, and then some.

“We want groups that are doing all of the things that make a fraternity or a sorority great,” he said.

The chapters that won the Gold award are finalists for the Chapter of the Year award, which will be announced at Wednesday’s Excellence Awards. The Gold-winning chapters are Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Kappa Psi, Beta Theta Pi, Sigma Chi, Pi Kappa Phi, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Psi Zeta Sorority Inc. and Phi Sigma Sigma, and Pi Kappa Alpha.

This article has been revised to reflect the following corrections: (April 20, 2009)

The Hatchet misstated that chapters that won the Gold award were only finalists for the award. The listed chapters did in fact win the award.

The Hatchet also misspelled the name of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity, and omitted the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, which also won the Gold award.

Also, The Hatchet misspelled the name of Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc.