Lacrosse’s Donohue puts team first

Junior Taylor Donohue became the seventh Colonial in the lacrosse program’s short history to score 100 career points last week, but she may have been the first player not to realize it.

“I don’t really keep track of goals. It’s just something for the position I play, that’s my job to score,” said Donohue, who plays attacker. “I don’t think about it that much, but I’m proud of everything that’s happened.”

For Donohue, whose six points against Richmond April 10 put her over the 100-point plateau, everything is about teamwork. She chose lacrosse over basketball and soccer, both of which she played in high school, because of the team dynamics.

“I think lacrosse is much more team-oriented than other sports where it’s more individual. In lacrosse, if one person’s off, everyone’s off, and if one’s on everyone’s on,” Donohue said. “I love being able to inspire the team and bring everyone together.”

That teamwork will be necessary to pull the Colonials through their next match against Saint Joseph’s, the first of two conference games that will determine whether they make the Atlantic 10 Tournament this year. Donohue, who became the first Colonial in program history to win the A-10 Player of the Week award twice in one season, will be instrumental in those games.

Donohue is determined to make this season an improvement over last. She said her worst experience on the team was failing to make the A-10s last year.

“We played at St. Bonaventure, where we lost and due to that and another loss, we didn’t make A-10s. The bus ride back, having to look at the seniors and knowing we couldn’t win the game to make the tournament for them was the worst,” Donohue said.

This year, with fourteen underclassmen members of the team, Donohue has taken on a leadership role.

“Taylor’s been great this year. She’s really come into her own developing as a player and a team leader and being able to take charge of the attacks,” head coach Tara Hannaford said.

Always an athlete, the Pennsylvania native said the thrill of competition is what drew her to the sport, after she grew up watching her older brother’s games.

“So much of the reason why we’re here is because we love competing and we need that drive,” Donohue said. “It’ll be hard for me not to have that [when I graduate next year] so hopefully what I do will make me that competitive”

But when it comes to the awards and accomplishments she has added to her lacrosse resume, Donohue goes back to the teamwork mentality.

“It’s nice to get recognition but I don’t know why I get it because I don’t think I deserve more recognition than the team,” Donohue said.