Most students receive top housing choice

Correction appended

About 80 percent of students received their top housing choice for the fall semester and 85 percent received one of their top three, University officials said this week.

The number of third- and fourth-year students on the nonguaranteed waitlist has already been reduced from 400 to 200, said Seth Weinshel, director of housing assignments. He expects that the number of upperclassmen living on campus will increase by as many as 200 next year, largely due to the new residence hall at 2135 F Street.

“GW Housing Programs was once again happy with the results of this year’s iHousing process,” Weinshel said in an e-mail. “This year over 85% of students received one of their top three preferences compared to over 82% last year.”

Sameer Gupta, a rising senior, called the housing selection process “easy” and got his first choice. He applied for housing with four other roommates in the new suite-style F Street dorm and ended up with everything he wanted.

“I am pretty satisfied with GW Housing,” he said. “But it is kind of expensive.”

Some students interviewed were disappointed with the results of this year’s housing selection.

Victoria Collins said she is annoyed with the process. The rising junior applied for a single room through Disabled Student Services, but was assigned to a quad instead. She has decided to opt out of on-campus housing for next year.

“Housing here is always difficult,” Collins said.

The GW Housing Web site cautions students that the more specific their requests, the less likely they will be granted.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: (April 13, 2009)

The Hatchet erroneously stated, “About 80 percent of students received their top housing choice for the fall semester and 85 percent received one of their top three.” The correct percentages are 85 percent and 80 percent, respectively.