Latina sorority returns to campus

Sigma Lambda Upsilon Inc., a traditionally Latina sorority, returned to GW after a three-year absence with a lively ceremony Thursday night in Kogan Plaza.

Members of the Greek-letter community came out to satisfy their curiosity Thursday night after receiving a vague e-mail from Director of Greek Life Dean Harwood saying that there would be a special event for the Greek-letter community at the clock tower in Kogan Plaza.

The sorority’s pledges marched in wearing masks, which they later removed to reveal themselves to the crowd. The coming-out ceremony, or probate, marked the end of a largely secretive pledging period in which the members could not reveal their identities.

“I wanted to know who will be unmasked and to show support because they are most likely my friends,” said sophomore Abike Kamson as she waited for the probate to begin.

Thursday night’s ceremony, which included stepping and chanting, was designed to present the new members to the University community.

The sorority is a nationally recognized organization founded in 1987 and present on more than 30 college campuses.

“Sigma Lambda Upsilon was at GW previously,” Harwood said. “We had a group of interested women and a very supportive group of alumni. Everyone is excited to have them back on campus.”

Eric Gutierrez, a student services coordinator at the Multicultural Student Services Center, said that sorority alumnae returning to campus and attending events sparked the interest of some students to initiate a revival.

Veronica Yona, a sister from the Old Dominion University chapter, said she was pleased to see the revival of Sigma Lambda Upsilon at GW.

“The alumni will always be involved but the new members will bring some fresh blood, new ideas and energy.”