Anchor Bowl raises $15K

The Delta Gamma sorority raised more than $15,000 during Anchor Bowl, their annual weeklong philanthropy event, said DG president Eden Sutley – one of the most successful to date.

Sutley said in order to raise money in a poor economic climate, the sorority looked to new and creative fundraising techniques to raise money for their philanthropy, Service for Sight, which provides services to the visually impaired.

One such technique they used was called “High Five for Sight,” in which sorority members sent letters to friends and family asking for a $5 donation. This campaign alone, Sutley said, raised $5,000.

“We knew that we are in the middle of a recession, but this year we really reached out to our alumni and local businesses for support,” Sutley said.

While every Greek-letter organization holds annual philanthropic events, DG often raises more money than the others.

“We really do get out and have a lot of involvement both on the sister end and on the fraternity end, and I think that just helps in general that there is a lot of sisterhood involvement, sisterhood building that goes into it,” said Molly Poppe, a sophomore and organizer of the Anchor Bowl.

Sutley said this was the first year that all 16 fraternities on campus participated in the weeklong series of activities.

“We worked with the smaller fraternities who didn’t think they’d be able to participate because they couldn’t get enough people to participate,” Sutley said.

The 16 fraternities participated in four fundraising events – penny wars, the Anchor Man competition, a skit night and a football tournament on the National Mall.

Sutley said fraternities get excited about participating in the football tournament because it’s “as close to football as they can get” at GW.

The football tournament was held Saturday afternoon, despite the rainy weather.

“We’re so excited!” yelled the members of the Sigma Chi fraternity who were playing in the football game, adding that the rain only made them more eager to play.

Pi Kappa Alpha won the football tournament for the third year in a row, and Sigma Phi Epsilon was the overall victor for the week of activities.

Sutley said she is thrilled with the success of the event.

“It was really fun,” she said. “I’m glad I had the opportunity to lead one of the most successful Anchor Bowls yet.”