DCSnacks launches alcohol delivery

Students who are too busy to hit the liquor store this weekend have a new way to supply their nighttime festivities without even leaving their residence hall.

Smirnoff, Bacardi and even Dom Perignon are now only a phone call away since the popular online snack food delivery service DCSnacks added a liquor and wine delivery service to supplement their popular late-night food options two weeks ago.

DCSnacks President Matthew Mandell said customers have been asking for a few years to see liquor and wine as delivery options.

“We did a survey and customers said our menu was missing beer, wine and liquor, that was the highest rated items that they wanted,” Mandell said.

With items varying from an $18 bottle of Bacardi to a $318 bottle of Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne, the Web site offers more than 100 different options for wine and liquor, and they are working on adding a beer selection.

A week after introducing the service, Mandell said he saw a demand to extend the hours of delivery, from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the weekends.

“We are hoping to expand our hours as much as possible,” he said.

Since D.C. law restricts vendors from selling liquor after 10 p.m., Mandell said he wants to start delivering earlier. Customers can already pre-order online for deliveries starting at 7 p.m.

“We are going to follow all laws,” Mandell said. “I just don’t look that good in handcuffs.”

This includes not serving to underage customers, Mandell said. DCSnacks carriers check IDs upon delivery and run names through an independent database before placing the order to make sure the customer is of age.

“If proper identification is not available at the time of delivery, your delivery will be refused and you will be charged a failed delivery fee of $15.00,” reads a message on the DCSnacks’ Web site.

Mandell also said that GWorld is not accepted for alcohol orders.

“If any liquor is added to an order, the option to pay with GWorld will automatically be disabled,” he said.

He added that the carriers will not accept cash for deliveries and all orders must have a matching name on the ID and the credit card used.

Managers at DCSnacks, which was founded in 2003, have already seen an increase in business since the service began, but no numbers were available to track the current profits from wine and liquor.