Chi Omega will replace Kappa Alpha Order in International House

The Greek-letter organizations with allotted spaces in International House will once again shift in the fall, as Chi Omega sorority replaces the Kappa Alpha Order fraternity in the building.

Chi Omega joins five other Greek groups that have space in the building. The sorority returned to campus last semester and will have 16 sisters living on the seventh floor.

President Cora Walker said that the sorority, which does not have its own house, is excited to have a space.

“It is great that GW has so many different opportunities for housing,” she said. “We were able to get housing despite being such a new chapter.”

The sorority will replace Kappa Alpha Order, who also returned to the University last year after a 48-year hiatus. The fraternity did not re-apply for housing, said Seth Weinshel, director of GW Housing Programs.

Weinshel said all fraternities and sororities that applied for housing in International House received space in the building.

Chris Pappas, president of Phi Kappa Psi, said that his fraternity received additional space for next year. He added Phi Psi will also apply for housing in a University-owned townhouse next year.

Pappas said he appreciates the housing his fraternity is offered, but said it does not compensate for not having a fraternity house.

“I am definitely happy with the space I received, but at the end of the day, these are just rooms in another University dorm,” Pappas said in an e-mail. “This is not a townhouse. This building does not offer all of our brothers a place to call their own like a townhouse does.”

Director of Greek Life Dean Harwood said that International House serves as another option for Greek-letter organizations seeking housing.

“The nature of living on an urban campus is that chapters will need to utilize existing spaces to meet their needs,” he said.