Softball swept in doubleheader

For the Hawks of Saint Joseph’s, the two games of their doubleheader Sunday afternoon against the GW softball team could not have seemed more different. Unfortunately for the Colonials, both games ended the same way, with GW falling 10-1 and 1-0, respectively.

GW (11-22, 2-6 Atlantic 10) struggled both offensively and defensively in the top half of the twin bill. Junior Amanda Gabriel started the first game for the Colonials, surrendering five runs on six hits in three innings of work. Gabriel was relieved by freshman Heidi Penna who also struggled in the first game, giving up five runs on five hits through the remaining two innings.

Game one ended by slaughter rule after five innings when the Colonials failed to keep the Hawks’ lead to eight. GW threatened to extend the game in the bottom of the fifth, loading the bases and tallying its only run of the game, but Hawks pitcher Sarah Falk forced Colonial freshman Krissy Mackiewicz into an inning- and game-ending double play, closing the book on the first contest.

“Defensively, we were not as sharp as we needed to be,” GW head coach Kim Staehle of her team’s performance in the first of its two losses. “We were not sharp; we were very flat.”

GW’s pitching and defense looked much better in the second game. Penna, who struggled in her first outing of the day, started the second game and pitched well, going all seven innings while allowing only one run on four hits.

The Colonials again struggled from the plate, however, managing only one hit against the Hawks’ Dani Gonzales, who threw a complete game after pitching four frames in the first game. Gonzales was so dominant in game two that GW failed to advance a runner past first base all game.

“The defense was really hot during the second game, so that made a big difference for the whole team,” Penna said of her performance. “I just pitched like I always do.”

Staehle said she was impressed with Penna’s rebound performance, even in the losing effort.

“I thought she stayed very composed, went out there and stayed ahead of her batters, which is something that we’ve really asked,” Staehle said. “I thought she did an outstanding job. We just didn’t help her offensively.”

To say the Colonials were fatigued coming into Sunday’s games would likely be an understatement. Sunday’s games marked GW’s third and fourth of the weekend. GW split a two-game series against Temple Friday and Saturday, winning 2-1 Friday in 14 innings before losing to the Owls 2-1 Saturday.

“Today we were, you know, a little tired,” Staehle said. “Not ready.”