Six offices ransacked in Law School break-in

Metropolitan Police Department officers are searching for a male suspect who broke into Building E of the Law School Tuesday and stole several items and cash from locked offices, according to police reports.

Facilities personnel called the University Police Department shortly after 12 a.m. Wednesday to report the burglary in the building on 20th Street between G and H streets, according to the report. Six offices were ransacked in the two hours the suspect was in the building, and about $50 in cash and coins were stolen. UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said it appeared that many items had been stolen from the area.

Though the MPD report states that office doors were apparently pried open with a box cutter – later recovered by police – Stafford said the suspect did not force their way into the building.

“The door was in secured mode and investigators believe that the suspect may have tampered with the door while the building was open so that it would not close completely after persons,” Stafford wrote in an e-mail.

A fingerprint was lifted from the box cutter found in the building. Though a video camera caught most of the break-in, which occurred shortly after the building closed for the evening, Stafford said that no staff members recognized the suspect on the tape.

Stafford said UPD’s investigation is now closed pending additional evidence or information, but MPD is still investigating.