Cannaday cleared of dealing

A jury acquitted a former GW counselor last week of dealing drugs from his apartment adjacent to campus, but convicted him of gun and drug possession charges.

In August, agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and officers with the Metropolitan Police Department raided the apartment of Lawrence Cannaday and found two guns, cocaine, marijuana and drug distribution supplies, according to court documents.

After a week-long trial, he was found guilty on March 26 of four offenses – possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition – and is being held in custody until his sentencing on June 2.

The jury acquitted him on the four remaining charges and their subsections, which include possession with intent to distribute cocaine while armed in a drug-free zone and possession of a firearm during a crime.

Cannaday worked in the Multicultural Student Services Center for 14 years until 2006 and is the brother of GW’s Assistant Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services Helen Cannaday Saulny. He lived in the Potomac Park apartments adjacent to campus at 21st and F streets.

The 52-year-old faces a maximum sentence of more than two and a half years in jail and more than $3,000 in fines. He could get up to a year in jail each for the gun and ammunition convictions.

During the trial, the prosecution testified Cannaday had tested positive for cocaine and opiates until March 12, but Cannaday said he is now taking up to 80 milligrams of methadone per day in order to wean himself off the drug.

Prosecutors also introduced a former GW student at the trial, who testified that Cannaday, his former counselor, sold him drugs after he graduated from the University.

Though Cannaday asked to be released at his post-verdict bail hearing, Judge Russell Canan said Cannaday was a risk to the community and ordered him held without bond pending sentence.

Canan said, “The combination of guns and drugs alone says there is a danger to the community.”

In the print edition, the Drug Enforcement Administration was misidentified as the Drug Enforcement Agency.