Bindelglass wins Student Association presidency

Julie Bindelglass was elected Student Association president with 51.87 percent of the vote, defeating Nick Polk by a narrow margin Thursday night in the Marvin Center.

Bindelglass received 1,565 of the 3,018 votes cast, defeating Polk by 112 votes.

“The students have spoken,” Bindeglass said moments after she was announced the winner. “I’m so excited to get started with my work on all of these issues that I’ve been talking about throughout the election.”

Bindelglass’s friends and supporters were beside her as the Joint Election Committee read the contest’s results.

Her backers – some wearing the campaign’s signature “Take Back the SA” shirts and others wearing the letters of her Chi Omega sorority – rushed to congratulate their candidate when JEC Chair Patrick Rizk declared the results.

“Everyone worked so hard,” Bindelglass said of this support group. “I can’t thank enough the organizations who sent letters for me and my friends who stood out in the rain for me today.”

SA President Vishal Aswani congratulated both Bindelglass and Polk on their hard work during the election season.

“On behalf of the 2008-2009 Student Association, I wanted to congratulate both Julie and Nick on a hard fought and successful run-off election,” Aswani said in a statement emailed to The Hatchet. “With that in mind, I personally want to congratulate Julie Bindelglass for her election tonight. I am confident in the work she will be able to do as my successor this upcoming year. Julie and I will be starting the transition process this Monday and I look forward to a smooth changeover this April.”

Bindelglass and Executive Vice President-elect Jason Lifton will both be sworn in April 30.