Vern weekend promotes pride in satellite campus

GW students and community members will celebrate life on the Mount Vernon Campus this weekend during the second-annual Rock the Vern Weekend.

The weekend features the Mount Vernon Semi-Formal, a Rock Band competition and a concert on Sunday with student bands. Jenna Curtis, a member of Mount Vernon Programming Council’s Special Events Committee, said Rock the Vern Weekend is an event designed just for students who live on the Mount Vernon Campus.

“What Rock the Vern Weekend does is provide activities exclusively for Vern residents,” Curtis said. “It helps bring ‘Vernies’ together, and establishes a sense of pride that is often lacking amongst Vern kids.

The series of events comes as part of an effort to consolidate the Vern’s major events into one weekend.

“All of these events, or similar ones, would have happened anyway,” MVPC Coordinator Maureen Logan said. “We are just consolidating times. I think it makes it more fun for everyone. So, though it may seem it, there isn’t really any great change in the number of events that we program.”

All events are free and students from both campuses can attend, though tickets to the Semi-Formal must be reserved by a resident of the Vern.

“When we put this event together we were really hoping to give residents a time to hang out after being apart during Spring Break,” Logan said. “Ideally it will help to solidify the relationships people have formed before the summer and subsequent moving apart.”