Student sues GW for readmittance

A former student, who was expelled last year for possession of LSD and other drugs, is suing the University for $500,000 and asking a federal court to force GW to readmit him, according to court documents.

Maximillian Jack, 20, said GW unjustly expelled him in February 2008 and therefore violated an agreement, according to court documents filed in D.C. District Court earlier this month. He said GW kicked him out after an “entirely unfair and one-sided” Student Judicial Services proceeding, which found him in violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

Jack is suing the University for breach of contract and inflicting emotional distress.

University officials searched Jack’s Thurston Hall room in February 2008 and found LSD, marijuana, cocaine residue and alcohol, according to court documents filed by the University. During the SJS proceedings, Jack was accused of selling cocaine – though his complaint contends that no actual cocaine was found in his room and no witnesses that testified at the hearing said he sold drugs.

The complaint states that the University breached a contract by not following its Student Code of Conduct sanctions, which list a $50 fine and required participation in a drug abuse program for first-time offenders. The University, however, responded that the sanctions listed in the student code are minimum punishments.

Jack also filed a motion that, if granted, would force GW to readmit to him to the University before proceedings continue. If GW does not immediately readmit him, Jack argued that his academic career will be significantly impacted and he will suffer “immediate and irreparable injury.”

The University filed an uncharacteristically blunt response to the complaint, stating that Jack failed three of his five classes in his first semester, earned incomplete grades in the other two and has “no academic career to restore.” Jack’s initial filing said he had maintained a satisfactory academic record.

Jack’s attorney told The Hatchet that his client is also asking for any negative information about his dismissal to be removed from his school transcript.

“More important than having [Jack] re-instated is to have the transcript cleared,” said Jensen Egerton Barber, Jack’s attorney.

The University declined to comment due to a policy of not commenting on pending litigation. Jack could not be reached for comment.