Staff Editorial: GW pulls a hat trick

At GW, it never rains – it pours. Yesterday, three major upcoming events were announced. This Friday, President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder will be speaking at Lisner Auditorium. Next month, indie rock band Spoon will be headlining the newly coined “Fountain Fling.” And to top it all off, this year’s graduates will hear Rahm Emanuel, chief of staff to President Barack Obama as the Commencement speaker.

Let’s face it – living in Washington D.C., we love to brag about all the famous people we get to rub elbows with. This spring, GW has really delivered on its promise to utilize everything D.C. has to offer.

After two fairly controversial years of Commencement speakers, Emanuel is an outstanding choice. Not only do we get the outside voice and insight that is always essential in a speaker sending graduates on their way, but we also have the name recognition GW students and families love. Of course, not everyone will embrace this speaker, but satisfying every facet of the University community would be impossible, and this is a solid pick that will add both substance and excitement to the ceremony.

The fact that all of these events are happening within weeks of each other will bring an atmosphere of enthusiasm and anticipation to campus. We may not have a major sports team to rally behind, but this ambiance may morph into our own unique version of school spirit.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.