Endorsement: Julie Bindelglass for SA President

For those of you still paying attention, we are hopefully nearing the end of our marathon Student Association election season. In light of former SA presidential candidate Kyle Boyer’s removal from the ballot, The Hatchet’s Editorial Board re-examined the qualifications of the two candidates still eligible for the office, sophomores Nick Polk and Julie Bindelglass. While it is a close call, Bindelglass’s in-depth knowledge and thorough platform give her an advantage.

After a year as SA Finance Committee chair, Bindelglass has successfully streamlined the student organization allocation application process and has gained thorough knowledge of both how the SA and this University work. Her platform hits on everything from campus dining to student living to academics, and she outlines some specific plans for tackling these issues. For instance, Bindelglass will advocate for storage space in the Marvin Center for student organizations that struggle with the issue. With an extensive list of relevant issues and pragmatic solutions, not to mention her knowledge and experience, Bindelglass is the best pick for SA president.

The one glaring reservation with Bindelglass is her excessively rehearsed demeanor, which came across all too well during The Hatchet’s SA election debate. That, in addition to her reliance on campaign advisers, may be an omen that approachability will be a serious concern next year.

In stark contrast, Nick Polk is an outgoing and personable candidate and would likely also do well in this office. However, his platform, while it does deliver on smaller, tangible goals, isn’t as comprehensive as Bindelglass’s and addresses fewer student concerns. To Polk’s credit, he successfully coordinated the upcoming town hall where current graduate, law and medical students can advise undergraduates, which demonstrates his leadership skills.

This will likely be another closely contested race (although hopefully with an end in sight this time), and frankly, both of these candidates are qualified to lead next year’s student body. Still, Bindelglass’s detailed platform goals and in-depth institutional knowledge make her the better candidate.

Readers can visit The Forum to comment on this endorsement