South By Apocalypse-ville, with beer!

We have returned and I have figured out the correct way to write about South By Southwest, but first there are some things we need to discuss.

1. AT&T’s coverage in Austin is abysmal. I literally cannot get service anywhere.
2. Austin looks like the apocalypse, in a good way. There are just people roaming the streets drinking and looking for music.

NOW. I have realized that there is no way to convey what actually happens here in Web recaps so here’s the new formula. Get into it. For most shows I will include a 23-word-or-less (in honor of Michael Jordan) summary with a link to the band’s Myspace. We will attempt to include a photo of each set and for the ones we have several good photos of we will include a slide show. For the shows we really loved we will have separate posts including interviews and photo sets.

Thursday, March 19th, 2009

Arms – This artist is an acoustic singer songwriter. This artist bores me.

Parenthetical Girls – Be-sweater-vested and unrepentant. Singer Zac Pennington looks at the stage as a loose suggestion. His 50-foot microphone cord allowed every fence and tree in the venue to become a drum.

Photo by Ani Mamourian
Photo by Ani Mamourian

The Heavenly States – Myspace tells me they sound like The Boss and The Hold Steady. I heard a droning John Cougar.

Themselves – Highlights: Throwing confetti-filled eggs at the crowd. Eyedea and Abilities coming on stage for a song. Second band bailing on their show and Themselves seamlessly moving into a double set.

All photos by Ani Mamourian & Alex Carusillo

Wallpaper – OMGLOLHAHAHAHA! A sequin jacket and a panda as a drummer!!!!!!! LIKE OF MONTREAL!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! FUNNY!!!!

Au Revoir Simone – Saw them at a pizza place. Categorically awesome. These songs will be great in printer ads in six months. Jams were fresh though.

She Rides – Rhode Island produces hardcore bands? Generic sounds. Excellent power stances. Also singer struck a lot of Christ poses.

The Blue Aeroplanes – Couldn’t focus on the mediocre British rock due to the leather Union Jack jacket on the bass player.

SOME SECRET GUEST WHO I LOVED AT BEAUTY BAR – I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I LOVED THEM. IT WAS LIKE THE BLOOD BROTHERS BUT FUN.

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE ABOVE INDIVIDUAL? SERIOUSLY.

Team Robespierre – Sampled Andrew W.K. Does not matter that it sounds like every other “fun dance band!” That is enough to make them totally unique.

Totally Michael – I believe I called this “what Brooklyn must sound like” and “dance trash.” Then I learned that the dude was from Indiana. Redemption.

The Death Set – I hold many things against Australia. They are not one of them. Utter disregard for the stage. The first five minutes included ripping a disco ball from the ceiling and a crowd surf/ceiling walk.

Emily Wells – Thought she was for NPR listeners who talked about how “eclectic” their taste was. Then she covered Biggie and brought out Buck 65.

The Geeks – Full article coming. Face shredding good. Here is the text on their flier:

“GEEKS are the only very cool bands in the world.
In February, 2008, the geeks were rebeared newly.
It is worlds best group of 4 men.
Let’s introduce our member.
The guitar sound that seems to be a machine gun,
Base sound such as the heavy tank,
Synthesizer such as the ray gun,
A drum such as the great disaster,
And a voice to carry through heart.
When we had a gig, all the spectators was swooned.

Because of us, a lot of people quitted a school and work and came to start a band in Japan.
You’ll regret that you overlook it!
Our force does not stop!”

Their music lives up to that.

A.