Blind Date: Better off as friends

Blind dater Ivey Wohlfield was surprised to find that she and her match, Aron Yuster, once sat near each other in a class for a full semester. Wohlfield and Yuster met up at Bangkok Joe’s on Thursday for some engaging conversation and pad Thai. The entrée was the only thing sizzling on the date, however, as Wohlfield cast Yuster into the friend zone despite mutual majors and a shared love of the outdoors.

Ivey Wohlfield

Year: Senior
Age: 21
Hometown: Great Neck, N.Y.
Major: Geography

Aron Yuster

Year: Senior
Age: 21
Hometown: Boca Raton, Fla.
Major: Geography

IVEY SAYS…

I’ve never been on a blind date before. I actually saw an ad in The Hatchet and thought, “Why not?” I have a friend from work who went on a blind date through Date Lab, The Washington Post’s version of Blind Date, which made me think, if he could do it, I can do this too.

I was laughing the thing off as a joke until the editor gave me his name. It made the date seem more real and I started to take it more seriously. I actually recognized Aron from a class we had last semester, so that took the edge off, I think.

We shared dumplings, and I had the noodle dish. We shared stories and talked about bikes, skiing and other outdoor activities. We talked about our interests and places we’ve been and want to visit. We sat at the table after we finished eating, just chatting. Then we realized the restaurant was pretty empty so we left. We walked most of the way back to campus together and then split when we had to go in different directions. He asked for my number, and I thanked him for a good time.

I think both of us just went on the date as a way to meet someone new, not look for a romantic relationship. Besides, I’m not sure of what I’m doing after graduation, so I’m not looking for anything serious right now.

I would rate the date a B+. We had a great time, it was finally nice to get to know the boy who sat in front of me in class, but I could see us hanging out as friends sooner than going on a romantic second date.

ARON SAYS…

I had never been on a blind date before. I was a little nervous, because it was something I’d never done before with someone I’d never met. I like to try new things and meet new people, so this seemed like a good way to go.

She was cute and fun, and we had a lot in common. It wasn’t awkward, not any more than could be expected for a first date. We have a lot in common. We’re both geography majors and like doing things outdoors. I ordered the pad Thai, and after dinner we had a couple of drinks and walked back together.

Afterward I asked for her number and she gave it to me, and hopefully I’ll see her again. I think the date went pretty well and I would definitely go on another date with her.

I would rate the date an A+ because we had a lot of fun.