Blind Date: The science of attraction

After overcoming the potential awkwardness of a blind date at Bangkok Joe’s in Georgetown Thursday night, sophomore Stephanie Mayer and first-year graduate student Adam Hughes attempted to convert Adam’s knowledge of physics into a mutual understanding of another science: chemistry. The laws of attraction may bring these two together again.

Stephanie Mayer
Year: Sophomore
Age: 20
Hometown: Sherborn, Mass.
Major: Human services

Adam Hughes
Year: First-Year Grad
Age: 21
Hometown: Pittsburgh
Major: Physics Ph.D. track

What is your ideal first date?

MAYER: Something fun, adventurous, in the city. I would like to do something I haven’t done before – maybe in Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan.

HUGHES: Coffee shop.

What do you look for in a person?

MAYER: A sense of humor. Someone who doesn’t think I’m crazy for running marathons.

HUGHES: I usually look for a nice demeanor and a similar sense of humor.

What are your own interests?

MAYER: Running, baking and exploring the city.

HUGHES: When I’m not crippled by physics, I enjoy participating in Shotokan Karate here at the Vern. I play video games occasionally and Frisbee, too.

Stephanie says:

I’ve never been on a blind date before. My New Year’s resolution was to be more spontaneous. Now I can cross it off my life list.

My first impression of Adam was that he’s a good guy, easy to talk to. It was definitely not awkward at all. I was impressed that he was a physics major. I admired that someone could devote his whole life to physics.

We had a good conversation. And we had delicious cr?me br?lée at the end of the date.

I would give the date an A-. He’s a good guy. We should definitely keep in touch. Maybe go out for coffee.

Adam says:

I’ve never been on a blind date before. I wanted to go on one because I don’t get opportunities to meet non-physics nerds very often.

The conversation was easy, considering the awkward circumstances of a fancy blind-date dinner, all expenses paid. I thought she was easy to talk to, and enjoyed the company.

Stephanie has a good heart and is very down to earth. She’s pretty too.

I thought the date went well. Beforehand, though, it was scary. I got lost trying to find the place and had to follow a homeless guy, MacGyver style, under the highways before arriving at the restaurant.

I’d give the date a B, but Stephanie gets an A. I would go on another date. Would The Hatchet pay for that date too?

If you would like to be set up on a blind date with another GW student, e-mail life@gwhatchet.com