Residence Hall Association offers wake-up call service

Alarm clocks may become a thing of the past if GW’s Residence Hall Association permanently introduces Snoozester, a free service that sends wake-up calls to students’ cell phones.

RHA is currently receiving the service as a free trial. Once the free trial period ends, RHA will decide whether or not to continue the program, said Scott Crawford, president of RHA.

“Snoozester approached the Residence Hall Association to reach out to students and to promote their product,” said Crawford, a senior.

Crawford said that the Snoozester service, unlike an alarm clock, allows students to schedule “repeat calls” in line with a students’ personal schedule – all for free.

If every Monday, Wednesday and Friday a student has an 8 a.m. class, Snoozester can be set up to send wake-up calls only on those days.

Crawford added, “[Snoozester] has a mode called secure awake, which requires you to answer your phone and interact with it, which is personally more effective in getting me out of bed than an alarm clock.”

In the first week that Snoozester was offered at GW, more than 100 students signed up, said Jared Belson, a representative from Snoozester.

“Right now there are a handful of universities using the service, but publicly George Washington will be a pioneer for the large universities,” Belson said.

In addition to sending wake-up calls, Snoozester can also send “reminder” phone calls. The Web site prompts users to enter the time and details of an event or assignment that is due, and will send the user a phone call repeating the information.

The program’s trial period will run out at the end of the of this semester, and the University will decide whether to pay for the service for students, Crawford said.