Participants note less fanfare than in past years

Voting for Student Association elections began at 9 a.m. Wednesday morning, but some candidates were out hours beforehand, handing out palm cards and free food to lure supporters.

Though many candidates hung around Kogan Plaza all day spreading the word about their campaign, the tone of the day was quieter than the pomp and circumstance of previous election days.

Last year, former presidential candidate OG Oyiborhoro played music and danced on top of a rented UHaul truck parked on H Street for two days. But the tone this year was more reserved.

“The absence of OG’s truck definitely means it’s a little less crazy this year,” said presidential candidate Nick Polk, who wore his campaign t-shirt without a jacket while handing out granola bars to students passing by.

He added that the quieter atmosphere was more pleasant.

“I think people kind of realized that when you get out here and blast music, it annoys people a lot,” Polk said. “It’s good, we can all be out here and everyone’s happy.”

Economic issues also factored into the quieter atmosphere.

Justin Hollimon, a presidential candidate, said his budget did not allow him to purchase food to hand out to potential supporters. Instead, Hollimon said he stuck to handing out palm cards to potential voters.

“Some people say no thanks, some people smile and take [a card], you know, it varies,” Hollimon said. “A lot of people have their supporters out here too. You know you might hand something to someone who says, ‘No, I’m voting for Julie,’ or ‘I’m voting for Kyle.’ But you get used to it though.”

Dan Curran, campaign manager for presidential candidate Julie Bindelglass, said the tone of this year’s election was more somber than years past.

“I don’t know if it’s the economy or what, but I remember getting handfuls of stuff [in the past],” said Curran, a senior. “I know the funding requirements, or limits did come down recently and that may very well be a factor as well.”

Junior Phil Bianchi, campaign manager for presidential candidate Kyle Boyer, had similar sentiments.

“I really do feel that this year is sort of lacking some of the enthusiasm and it has been sort of a quiet election season,” Bianchi said.

On top of the mild atmosphere, the weather warmed up for the campaigners, allowing candidates and their supporters to sport their campaign T-shirts without heavy jackets.

Despite the more reserved atmosphere, students said Election Day was still fun.

Michelle Tanney, campaign manager for executive vice presidential candidate Louis Laverone, said some of her best memories at GW come from election day activities.

She said, “I’ve been doing this since I was a freshman and what’s great about this is that you meet a lot of cool people that become friends of yours and you have fun in the process.”