Off-campus options

Other neighborhoods are often the choice for students looking to move off campus. Below are some options for those interested in making the switch.

Georgetown

The lowdown: Although Georgetown does not have its own Metro stop, the proximity to upscale restaurants, shops and the waterfront makes this area one of D.C.’s most desirable neighborhoods. If you and your roommates search for housing in this area, be prepared to compete with Georgetown students and D.C residents alike. The historic and beautiful neighborhood is also home to some of the most expensive real estate in city, which can limit options for students. With a few roommates and a bike, however, living in Georgetown is another option for GW students.

Price: Townhouses around Georgetown University and M Street are usually $2500/month and up.

Dupont Circle

The lowdown: With several great apartment buildings and townhouses scattered around the circle and a short 10- to 20-minute commute to campus by Metro or foot, Dupont should not be overlooked by students who want to live off campus. This lively, energetic neighborhood offers plenty of trendy restaurants, nightclubs and coffeehouses. But like Georgetown, you may have to sacrifice space or money to find housing in this competitive area.

Suggestions:

Gables Dupont Circle, 1750 P St. N.W., Price: $2195-2915 (one-bedroom), $2985-$3615 (two-bedroom)

The Flats at DuPont Circle, 2000 N St. N.W., Price: $2500 and up for one-bedroom, $3000 and up for two-bedroom

The Bristol House Apartments, 1400 20th St. N.W., Price: $1300 and up (efficiency studio), $1950 and up (one-bedroom), $2500 and up (two-bedroom)

U Street

The lowdown: This diverse, vibrant neighborhood may be 30 minutes to GW by Metro or bus, but many housing opportunities are right off the U Street stop on the Green Line. This area is ideal for students who love live music and want to explore a different scene in D.C. There are some affordable apartment buildings in the area, but make sure to check out Craigslist for more renting options.

Suggestions:

The Ellington, 1301 U St. N.W., Price: $1175-3005 (one-bedroom), $2655-3700 (two-bedroom)

Portner Place Apartments, 2001 15th St. N.W., Contact for prices: 202-387-7079

Adams Morgan

The lowdown: One of D.C.’s nightlife centers, during the day Adam’s Morgan is a vibrant community with eclectic shopping and food venues. The Woodley Park-Zoo Metro station is also about a mile walk from the main strip, so taking the Metro back and forth can be a pain. It also requires switching to the Red Line.

Suggestions:

Park East, 1845 Summit Pl. N.W., Price: $1076-$1260 (studio), $1310-$1706 (one-bedroom)

Park Monroe Apartments, 3300 16 St. N.W., Price: $895-1200 (studio), $1250-1650 (one-bedroom)

The Park Crest, 2070 Belmont Rd. N.W., Price: $2400 (two-bedroom)

Arlington, Virginia

The lowdown: If you want more space for less money, check out areas off Metro stops like Ballston, Rosslyn and Clarendon. Each area has shopping, grocery stores and nightlife, and GW and D.C. are only a short ride away. Georgetown is even walking distance from Rosslyn. These apartments offer larger floor plans and cheaper rents than their DC counterparts.

Suggestions:

Ballston Place, 901 N. Pollard St., Price: $1500 and up (one-bedroom), $2000 and up (two-bedroom), $3300 (three-bedroom). Metro Stop: Ballston (Orange Line)

Water Park Towers, 1501/1505 Crystal Dr., Price: $1800 and up (one-bedroom), $2400 and up (two-bedroom), Contact for three-bedroom prices: 888-596-3380. Metro Stop: Crystal City (Blue Line)