Survey: Students half satisfied with Sodexo food quality and service

A recent survey conducted by GW’s dining service commission found that students are only half satisfied with Sodexo’s dining venues on campus.

The approximately 175 students who took the survey rated the quality of food at J Street 2.21 out of 5, the service 2.54 and the variety 2.31. The average student also said they bought an average of 1.52 meals from J Street every day.

Surveys have been placed throughout J Street and Ames Dining Hall for the past month, asking students to rate the quality and variety of food on a 1 to 5 scale. The survey also asked open response questions about what Sodexo and the dining service commission could do better.

Ames Dining Hall on the Mount Vernon Campus received a 2.04 for the quality of its food, 3.66 for service and 1.90 for the variety of food. Students said they ate there an average of 2.09 times each day.

The outcome was disheartening to Director of the Dining Service Commission Chris Franzetti.

“We are going to address those comments and numbers,” Franzetti said. “Seeing that not only are the overall numbers low, but the number of times people eat here are lower than average, makes me think that maybe the numbers are incorrect, but then, this is what the survey was for.”

In the open response section of the survey, many students asked for Chipotle, Qdoba or Quiznos venues. More were concerned with the overall nutritional value of J Street and Ames.

“I can buy better food two blocks away from here for half the price,” junior Matthew Shruhan wrote. “You should use local food because it tastes better and uses less natural resources.”

Students also asked for J Street to be open on weekends and for better labeling of ingredients so students with allergies can know what they can eat.

Sodexo officials said they plan on addressing student concerns over the next week.