Letter to the Editor

Election coverage was wrong

I believe that my profile in Thursday’s issue of The Hatchet befooled me as a candidate. My story was made a joke and my issues made narrow, while my understanding of the student’s concerns made inept and glib. When a student cannot trust the press to be fair and objective, then what does that say of our society?

The paper points out that I graduated a drug rehabilitation program in 2006; however, it was never stated that I entered the program in 2004. Yes, for years I was strung out, running the streets of the South Bronx while I should have been in school, always telling myself I would quit tomorrow. For a handful of my friends, that “tomorrow” never came: They died from their addictions. Today, I realize my limitations and choose my friends accordingly.

Eventually, I found myself in drug court. This experience transformed my life, which had previously been in complete shambles. I was facing either incarceration or a chance to turn my life around. Ironically my last bag of dope had a stamp on it titled “Good Year.” That was the year I got sober. A few years later, I found myself working with the district attorney’s office as an intern, where I designed an enhancement program for the courts. This program is anticipated to reduce the rate of recidivism for drug-related offenses.

Over the past five years I have appeared as a guest speaker to numerous programs, including Congregation Emmanue-el, White Plains City Court and Fordham University. I want my work to help misguided youth, as I once was. If you were to ask what I stand for, I would answer youth empowerment, civic engagement and the undeniable rights of every individual.

My past will show you that I have the intestinal fortitude to overcome obstacles.

George J. Brunner