Theater for the proletariat

“The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles,” said Marx in “The Communist Manifesto.” German playwright Bertolt Brecht addresses this sense of class struggle in “The Threepenny Opera,” performed in the Betts Theater this weekend.

“Brecht wrote very political theater,” said director Leslie Jacobson, a professor of theater at the University. The show, written in 1928 by Brecht, was composed prior to the Great Depression in America.

In the wake of today’s economic crisis, Jacobson said “The Threepenny Opera,” a musical, is more pertinent than ever. “The playwright wants us to think about what we can do to make the world better,” she said.

Sophomore Laura Mulvaney, the actress playing the female lead of Polly Peachum, agrees with Jacobson. “The show definitely makes a commentary on today’s world,” she said. “In today’s world there’s not always that happy ending, no matter how we try to strive for that.”

“It influenced plays such as ‘Chicago’ and ‘Cabaret,’ ” Jacobson said.

“The Threepenny Opera” brings to light criminals, prostitutes and the idea of right and wrong. “The play forces you to think about which is more criminal: robbing a bank, or starting a bank,” said Jacobson.

A joint production by the music and theater departments, the show is a part of the co-curricular program. While it offers no academic credits for those acting in the show, it is used as a catalyst for teaching directing, theater, literature and acting. For this reason, the show most prominently features theater majors and minors. “It’s a huge time commitment,” Jacobs added, referring to the six days of rehearsals, averaging 20 hours a week.

Mulvaney was compelled to participate despite the considerable time commitment. “I had seen several department shows, but had never done any before,” she said. “They had always stuck out for being of very high quality.” With that in mind, she participated in the general audition, which consisted of a song and dance routine.

The play is also unique because it involves both professors and students. While actors and stagehands are students, both the music and theater directors are part of the academic departments.

Jacobson said a major student contribution was the choreography of the production, developed by junior Scout Seide. “We would usually bring in a faculty member for the job, but Scout is extremely talented and was ready for it.”

Those in attendance should expect audience participation. Aside from offering seating on the stage, actors will interact with the audience.

Jacobson added, “We want to challenge the audience in terms of moral choices: When to speak out, when to do something.” n

“The Threepenny Opera” will be performed in the Marvin Center Betts Theater Feb. 19, 20, 21 and 22. Tickets are $5.