Balanced attack overwhelms UMass

With Valentine’s Day in the books and March fast approaching, the women’s basketball team began a final four of its own Wednesday night, beating UMass 83-62 in the first of its last four regular season games.

The Minutewomen hung with the Colonials (16-10, 8-3 Atlantic 10) for the first half, never allowing the Colonials to extend their lead beyond two possessions. The Colonials pulled away in the second half though, going on a 20-3 run midway through.

No single player dominated the game offensively for the Colonials. Instead, GW was led by four players in double figures. Seniors Yolanda Lavender and Jessica Adair scored 19 and 17 points, respectively. Freshman Tiana Meyers followed up a career-high 17 against St. Louis Saturday with 13 and her classmate Tara Booker added 13.

Head coach Mike Bozeman was impressed with what he saw.

“That’s when we’re at our best,” he said. “We’re sharing the ball, playing more aggressively on offense and we’re moving the ball around. When you’re moving the ball around, and we’re getting high percentage shots, then you get multiple people hitting them.”

The Colonials will need to be at their best if they hope to continue their success into March. The days of GW reigning as the power at the top of the Atlantic 10 are gone and winning this late in the season means ratcheting up the intensity. For Colonial veterans like Adair, playing their final games in a GW uniform is plenty of motivation.

“These are our last few games coming up, and I want to make them the best that I can,” Adair said. “This is the last time I ever get to do this, my last go around, and I want to have fun.”

Adair’s success will not necessarily translate into victories for GW. The Colonials’ fate will rest just as much with their young backcourt as it will with the team’s veterans. Having their fate rest in the hands of youngsters might make a lot of seniors nervous, but Adair has the utmost faith in her teammates.

“Most of them have started games, they know how serious this is, and they have an experience in playing. If anything they’re more ready to play than some of our seniors,” Adair said of her younger teammates. “They come out just as hard, just as intense, and that’s what we expect from them.”

GW is now tied for third place in the A-10 with St. Bonaventure and Temple.

The remainder of the Colonials’ season will feature a home game Saturday against St. Bonaventure, followed by a road match up against Charlotte. GW will close the season with Senior Night March 1 against Temple at the Smith Center.

After a season of ups and downs that featured five freshmen, a new head coach, a four game losing streak and a six game winning streak, Bozeman does not lack confidence in his team.

“I’d take this team to compete against anybody right now,” he said. “I’m looking forward to the challenge of the rest of the season.”