Historic building robbed near Thurston

A building less than a block from Thurston Hall was robbed last Sunday at around 11 p.m. and witnesses told police the suspects may have carried guns, according to a police report.

A caretaker told police he saw three men leave the Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired Bacon House building on 18th and F streets late Sunday night, the police report states.

The suspects left the building through the rear door with a brown box and two black trash bags. The police report classifies the incident as an armed burglary and destruction of property.

The building had a deadbolt lock, but it is unclear whether it was locked at the time of the burglary.

Anne Kauzlarich, executive assistant and house manager of the DACOR Bacon House, declined to comment on what was stolen, saying that doing so would pose a security risk for the organization. She added that money was not taken and that the theft was related to construction on the building.

“They knew exactly what they wanted,” Kauzlarich said. “I can’t tell you what was taken, but there’s absolutely no indication that there’s any danger to the GW campus.”

The DACOR Bacon House is a historic building listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A former boarding house and private residence, it has been home to former members of the Supreme Court, governors, senators and congressmen.

It now serves as a private club offering hotel and event services for “retired and active duty officers of federal government agencies whose principal responsibilities are/were in the field of foreign affairs,” according to their Web site.