Adjunct law professor shot in Virginia office

An adjunct GW law professor was shot Monday in his office in Virginia, and police are considering the possibility it was retribution for one of his past cases as a prosecutor.

Todd Sanders, 45, was shot in his law office in Leesburg, Va., at about 6:30 p.m. Monday, Leesburg Police Lt. Jeffery Dubé said. Sanders, a partner at Sanders & Kissler law firm, was transported to Inova Loudoun Hospital for “minor and non-life threatening injuries” and released Monday evening, Dubé said.

He was shot in the upper torso above the shoulders, but police are not releasing further details on the specific manner of the shooting.

“We don’t want to jeopardize the investigation,” Dubé said.

While Sanders currently practices law in areas like wrongful death, motor vehicle accidents, white-collar crime and sexual assault, according to his office’s Web site, police think that the shooting may have been related to his previous position as a prosecutor in Fairfax and Loudoun counties.

“That’s certainly an angle we’re looking into, among others,” Dubé said. “We can’t discount the fact that he used to be prosecutor and is now a defense attorney. That’s something our detectives will look into.”

In addition, police are seeking a person of interest who used a pay phone outside a Safeway grocery store in Leesburg between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday.

Claire Duggan, a spokeswoman for the Law School, said the school learned about the shooting Tuesday. Duggan said Sanders only taught classes in the fall.

Sanders teaches trial advocacy at GW. A call to Sanders’ office was not returned.