2009 Alternative Spring Break trips

Greensburg, Kan.

Students will work to help repair the town, which was devastated by a tornado in 2007. The group will collaborate with the Greensburg GreenTown Project to rebuild in an environmentally sustainable fashion.

Camp Hope, New Orleans, La.

Students will continue the New Orleans rebuilding process in the 9th Ward and St. Bernard’s Parish. During the day, students will work with Habitat for Humanity and have the opportunity to experience the New Orleans culture at night. The trip is capped at 88 students.

Appalachia, W.Va.

Students will work with the Folk Life Center to repair, paint and maintain homes in the area.

Atlanta, Ga.

A less physical trip allows participants to focus on tutoring and mentoring at-risk urban children in conjunction with the program Essential2Life. Students will also experience the Atlanta culture with trips to Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthplace and other tourist attractions. Trip is capped at 10 students.

Crownpointe, N.M.

Volunteers will get the unique opportunity to work and live with the Navajo Nation in a homestay program focusing on community projects. Living on the reservation, students will tutor, work on community projects and learn from Navajo community members. The trip is capped at 10 students.

Oaxaca, Mexico

Students will work with ProWorld to promote social and economic development. Though this year’s project has not yet been decided, students in previous years helped build additions and develop a plumbing system for local schools.

For more information, contact the Student Activities Center at 202-994-6555 or the International Alternative Spring Break group at [email protected].