Women breeze by Dayton

The GW women’s basketball team continued its winning ways Wednesday night against Dayton, beating the Flyers 64-52 and running the Colonials season-high win streak to five games.

The Colonials (12-8, 5-1 Atlantic 10) were led by freshman Tara Booker who had five rebounds to go with her team high 15 points. Freshman Tiana Myers and senior Antelia Parrish each also scored in double figures, with 13 and 14 points, respectively.

However, Wednesday was an off-night for senior center Jessica Adair, who faced double-teams from Dayton defenders all night. Her loss was her teammates’ gain, head coach Mike Bozeman said in a telephone interview following the game. He pointed to Adair’s willingness to pass out of the double team to her wide-open teammates who happily made the Flyers pay for their defensive scheme, calling Adair’s play “unselfish.”

The game was never really in question for the Colonials, who seized control by way of a 13-0 run midway through the second half and who held the Flyers to less than10 points through the first 13 minutes of the game. Dayton closed the margin to nine with just fewer than five minutes left in the second half, but never got any closer.

The current five-game streak has marked a dramatic reversal for the Colonials, who struggled at times through a tough nonconference schedule that left them hovering around .500 and facing conference play ahead of them. But ever since losing a close game against Richmond in their Atlantic 10 opener, the team has played better. For Bozeman, his team’s dramatic turnaround starts with Adair and her twin sister Jazmine.

“I think there’s a togetherness that’s being demonstrated. There’s a more unified acceptance of our new system,” Bozeman said. “I think Jessica and Jazmine were integral in that, and they have such an influence on the team.”

Looking ahead, GW still faces the rest of its tough A-10 schedule, including road games against conference-leading and 23rd-ranked Xavier (8-0, 18-4 A-10) and Charlotte (5-1, 14-6 A-10), as well as a home date against St. Bonaventure (4-1, 15-5 A-10). Even so, Bozeman is optimistic.

“We haven’t maxed out our potential,” Bozeman said. “We haven’t even scratched the surface.”