University delays scheduled Web site revisions

The first stage of revisions to the University’s Web site, slated for release this month, has been delayed until later this spring, a senior administrator said Wednesday.

Robert Chernak, senior vice president of Student and Academic Support Services, attributed the delay to both technical and content-related issues.

Chernak said the Web design team, which includes both GW employees and the outside company Navigation Arts, is at work uploading new text, visuals, content and hundreds of pages within the site. The technical coding changes and security issues have also required more time than originally expected.

“Nothing goes online until it’s all ready,” Chernak said.

Chernak added that if the preliminary changes went online in February, it could make the admissions process more complicated for prospective students who would be looking at a new site midway through the process.

“We don’t want class of 2014 students to be confused,” Chernak said.

By April and May, however, the admissions cycle will have largely ended and the transition would likely be more seamless.

The first changes will include the pages that present admissions, academics, research and donations to an audience unfamiliar with the school.

The changes to the site will allow for easier navigation, less clutter and a more consistent design that Chernak said would have “a Facebook feel.”

Chernak stressed that these early revisions were part of a much larger “unified Web” project, a multi-year endeavor that will give the site greater consistency to both internal and external users. “This is a much more consumer-centered approach we’re trying here,” Chernak said. “It’s a major change in culture.