Men’s basketball loses 10th in a row

Ten straight losses.

It’s been a while since that figure could be attached to GW’s men’s basketball team, but so it came to be Wednesday night at La Salle, as the Colonials fell to the Explorers 76-66 to continue their slide.

GW once again hung with the eventual victors for the majority of the contest, as they had done in their four most recent defeats. The two teams traded the lead 14 times in the first 14 minutes, with the Explorers not opening a two-possession lead until the final minute before halftime.

The Colonials regained a one-point advantage when senior Wynton Witherspoon hit a three-pointer inside of the ten-minute mark. As La Salle refused to let up, senior Noel Wilmore, who scored a team-high 16 points off the bench, connected on his own pair of threes. The second of Wilmore’s buckets gave GW what would turn out to be their final lead with just under six minutes to play.

The Explorers would outscore the Colonials 18-8 over the remainder of the game, with GW enduring a nearly three-minute scoring drought before Wilmore scored on a jumper.

Not since head coach Karl Hobbs’ first season at the helm has GW endured a losing streak this extended. In the nearly seven years since, they have racked up titles, rankings and tournament trips – but now all that is racking up are tallies in the loss column. Should they add one more, it will mark their longest losing streak since the infamous 1988-1989 season. That year the Colonials went 1-27, their lone win being sandwiched between 14- and 13-game skids.

Hobbs was not available for comment after Wednesday’s game.

The Colonials will have a week off before getting another opportunity for their first conference win at Saint Joseph’s next Wednesday. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.